Tuesday 23 January 2018

Tuesday, January 23

Agenda Message: New spelling words and NO school Friday.

NEW Spelling Words:
in
is
it
big
did
CHALLENGE WORDS (words that end in 'y' but say the /e/ sound)
city
community

Here is a link to show you some ways you can make learning the Spelling Words at home: https://www.popsugar.com/moms/10-Ways-Make-Spelling-Practice-Fun-27333262

By Thursday, your child will see how they did on their spelling test this week. They will bring their spelling test book home to share their success. If they misspelled a word record the word on a 'special' place at home so you can review them. I will not reassess them. If they have misspelled words I will ask that their homework will be to write that word 5 times in their spelling book. SPELLING BOOKS MUST BE RETURNED THE NEXT DAY - WHICH IS MONDAY FOR US.

This week we worked with our 'Spelling Family Group'. Here are a few pics of some pairings. These groups are to help with the first few spelling activities and then students should be fairly confident to work independently.




Math: We are continuing to work on understanding story problems and how to show what we know and write a math sentence. Here are a few samples. Try telling a story at home.


Social: We've begun to answer these questions below. With this activity, we are also learning to print proper sentences (capitals, finger space, periods). We can't wait to show you the video at Parent Teacher's Interviews!
1.          What did you build?

1. I  built  a _________________________.

2.          What materials did you use?

3.          Why is your building important to your urban community?
4.          If I worked at ________, my job would be _______.

MY EXAMPLE:  
I built a soccer field.  I used cardboard and metal for goalie posts. I used dry grass for the field. I added lego people playing soccer.
My soccer field is important because it gives kids a place to play and get exercise.  If I worked at my soccer field my job would be a soccer coach. I would coach kids from the community and name my team The Mazers.


REMINDERS: NO SCHOOL ON FRIDAY.


Here is a reminder of what is needed for skating (Jan.30/31/Feb.1) . STUDENTS AND VOLUNTEERS MUST HAVE A HELMUT FOR THE ICE. PLEASE EMAIL IF YOU ARE HAVING TROUBLES GETTING EQUIPMENT. ANYONE WHO HAS EXTRA EQUIPMENT COULD BRING IT TO THE SCHOOL IF IT IS NEEDED. PLEASE LABEL ALL YOUR SKATING EQUIPMENT. 
Dear Parents
On January 30 -31 and February 1, we have the opportunity to take our Physical Education outside of our school and skate at the Mount Royal Community Rink (2317 10th Street SW).
We will require 4 volunteers each time we go.
We will focus on several types of skills such as getting up when you fall, balancing on your skates, moving forwards and backwards and of course – HAVE FUN!
All students and volunteers MUST wear a helmet (NO BIKE HELMETS) to be on the ice. Students should be prepared with ALL winter wear (hats, coats, thicker mittens, snow-pants, and snow-boots).  If your child is not prepared, then they will stay back at the school.

*PLEASE SIGN AND RETURN FORM (sorry I missed sending a few home)




No comments:

Post a Comment