Wednesday 29 November 2017

Thursday, November 30

BLOG UPDATE: I AM GOING TO POST EVERY MONDAY AND THURSDAY (I WILL TRY THIS AND SEE HOW IT WORKS OUT). I WILL TRY TO POST BEFORE 5 OCLOCK UNLESS OTHER COMMITMENTS COME UP.  EMAILS WILL BE SENT HOME WHEN NECESSARY.

MUSIC - Practicing for the Christmas Concert. Wednesday we practiced with the Whole School again and practiced in Music class too.




Literacy:   We've been working on figuring out what is wrong with sentences in our Morning Message.

See what is missing:
good morning boys and girls, 

today is thursday we have book exchange


from your teacher, mrs. maze

This week we wrote to Santa. We tried to persuade (convince) him that we are Responsible Citizens.  I'm sure Santa likes when kids are Responsible Citizens... (gotta get on the Good List!). Here is a video on what a Persuasive Letter might look like. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hD9arWXIddM

Math:  Please review all these videos (all are YouTube videos, so please watch with your child). Your child should be confident in all these areas by  the end of Grade1. If you see a concern, make it a priority to review at home. We will continue to review at school.

Review subtilize: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsScVF6Jo6A

Review count to 100 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XafJgLQQIdM

Review count by 5's: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amxVL9KUmq8

Review count by 10's: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQSdKlNvrmw

Science:    This week at school we used Chromatography. By using Chromatography we were able to separate black to see the different colors. Ask your child the steps it took to do such an experiment. See if they can use the words: First, Then, Then and Finally. This was done with the Substitute Teacher, Ms. M.

This week we also used water to separate sunlight into it's different colors.  Again, ask your child what were the steps to do this experiment. Here is a video to review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cm9ZkYTnCNE








LET'S GET THINKING.... WHY IS THIS INFORMATION (COLORS CAN BE SEPARATED) IMPORTANT TO KNOW?  ARE THERE ANY JOBS WHERE IT IS IMPORTANT TO KNOW ABOUT MIXING COLORS OR SEPARATING COLORS? PLEASE RECORD ANSWERS AND SEND INTO SCHOOL. 

We will be looking more closely at transparent, translucent and opaque next week. Here is a video reviewing some items that are transparent, translucent and opaque. Review together with your child.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvMYs5JXjPg

SOMETHING NEW AT SCHOOL: At school, I want all students to contribute more of their ideas, thoughts and understandings. I will be asking more children to give their thoughts on an answer or discussion even if their hand is not up. If they don't 'have an answer' or 'just don't know', I will ask a few other students what they would like to share and then return to the student who didn't know an answer to give an answer after hearing their classmates give some ideas. I hope this makes sense. Hearing from more children (not just those with their hand up) will give me a better idea if students are understanding the expectations and what is being taught.

What do you think a Persuasive letter to Santa would look like or sound like?
Emmett - kind (please)
Phoebe - thank you
Evann- how you are a good boy or girl
Madelyn - say how you are kind to friends
Millie - how you invite friends to play
Tarrack - ask for a toy
Sarah - how you are kind to others
Stanley - nice to friends
Max - nice to your pets
Ella - don't throw trash just anywhere, put in garbage
Malia - help Mom do dishes
Ainsley - clean up your stuff like your bedroom
Ashlyn - help my Mom wash the dishes and help take out the decorations
William -I clean up my lego that I use
Rhys - friendly words and empathy towards others
Isabel - put stuff in the right bins (blue, yellow, compost)
Caleb - how you help your little brother
Catherine - I exchange home reading
Adriana - I be friendly to others and share with others
Margaret (absent)
Estella (absent)
Lucas (absent)
Julia - help Mom in the kitchen

After finishing my letter, I understand that a Persuasive Letter needs: 
- Dear or To
- an opening sentence
- ideas to persuade the reader
- closing sentence
- neat printing 
- punctuation
- Love or From


Here are two samples of a letter to Santa. Read with your child. Which is better? Why? 


Dear Santa
I have been good this year I help my friends I help Dad I walk quiet 

From Josie
------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Santa
I believe I have been a GREAT girl this year by being a responsible citizen. At home, I help my Mom clean up the kitchen. I do my best to sweep up every crumb. In my community, I make sure to throw garbage in the garbage can so wild animals don’t eat it and get sick. That would make me really sad. My school is awesome, so I make sure I am quiet when I walk in the hallways. I don’t want to disturb kids who are working.
I think you can see I’ve been a GREAT girl this year.  

Love Lisa



READING : Today Stanley read to us a book called 'Up and Down'. Ask your child what were some items that went up and down (umbrella, escalator, ladder...). Also we read about a boy who was in a wheelchair that when he got onto his bus, the ramp went up and down. So at the end of the day today, we got to see a boy in our school, Nicholas, who is in a wheelchair use the ramp in his school bus to go 'up' into his bus. It was a great connection between what we read and our real life!
Here is a pic from the book:













No comments:

Post a Comment